Recent studies done in the field of donor retention state 45.5% donor retention rate in 2018.
This means that people who have donated to a non-profit in 2017, only 45.5 of them donated again to that non-profit in 2018.
This donor retention rate is not very good for a non-profit. The fundraisers of the organisation have to deep dive and look for passionate supporters for the organisation.
There are many tactics that you can follow to retain your supporters:
- Audit your donor database :Database audit plays a very crucial role in retention of your supporters. You have to check your data for its accuracy. Your database should be accurate and updated to reduce the bounce rate your emails. You have to double check your data before using it for any fundraising activity.
- A proper donor journey to be followed :The organisation needs to follow a proper donor journey in terms of acknowledging their donation, and thanking them and sharing an update on the utilisation of their support.
- Easy and impactful giving process : The donation process should be very simple and easily understandable by a person who is browsing your website and intends to support your cause. It should have a very simple form for filling details and easy to select donations amounts.
- Send timely Thank You: Prepare a proper thank you letter or email to thank you your donors. You should acknowledge and tell your donors how important their donation is for your work. The donor should feel important and part of your organisation.
- Be creative with your Gratitude: There are seemingly endless number of ways to show your donors gratitude. You can share your work with them in an effective way to make them feel to be part of the journey. You can share good pictures and video from the field for which they have made the donations. Send hand written notes from the beneficiaries to give a personal touch.
Finally you need craft a robust, donor retention plan to improve your donor retention rate to increase the supporter base for your organisation.